Listen here + find us on all of your favorite platforms.
Weekly Affirmation: I am all in. I am whole. I get back up.
Another episode I literally couldn’t wait to air. In fact, I’m dropping this early so that you can have it for Valentine’s Day – slash #singleawarenessday .
Whether you’re in a relationship or not, our guest today shares some amazing insights for when the path we hope for takes a devastating detour, and how to show up anyway.
Our guest: Allie Barnes is an author, Latter-day Saint, and people person. She is a masters student studying leadership, and previously graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Family Studies. Her book, “Not According to Plan”, is all about relationships and faith, and I can’t wait for you guys to hear her story!
10 Ways to Own the Unexpected & Love the Life You Have:
- Our rock bottom moments prepare and make us stronger for difficult times ahead. Each time, we learn more and we grow more.
- It’s so important to maintain our own lives and identities. Take time for you in whatever relationship you are in.
- Intentionally invest in your friendships.
- Sometimes God leads us in a certain direction, and it’s only for a season. It doesn’t mean it was the wrong place; it means it was only for the time being.
- Pay attention to the patterns in your life.
- Pursue your passion, take risks, and claim what you want for your life. Buy a Kitchen Aid. Live on your own. You don’t have to wait for it!
- Be all in with who you are. You can be loved even in a broken state.
- You can be angry with God. He is strong enough to take that. Learn to wrestle with Him and let Him know how you truly feel.
- It’s okay to feel sad, and angry, but don’t stay there. Learn how you get back up, make it personal to you.
- Find joy in your every day, and remember that it gets easier.
Journal Prompt: Ask yourself, what helps me, personally, to get back up? After a bad day? After a bad year? One of the biggest things that has helped me over the past year is knowing how to turn those moments around. Some things I do are…
- When I’m feeling unproductive, I get in my workout clothes, get outside, and read with my kiddos.
- When I’m feeling sad or stressed, I check one thing off of the to-do list to do my future self a favor, and then pop popcorn, watch a family movie, and snuggle with my kids!
- When I need alone time, I take it – even if it’s just locking myself in the bathroom.
- When I need connection, I’m more intentional about being present in the moment, or I Marco Polo my friends.
- When I’m angry, I vent to someone I trust.
- When I make a mistake, I tell myself “start fresh now”, and I keep trying.
Those are just a few ideas, but really think about what works for you.
Homework! Next time you’re feeling down and you need a boost. Remember, it’s okay to feel that. But also, practice what you wrote down, and get back up.
❤ Jenny and Joe